Author: Beth
•Saturday, September 19, 2009

One of my favorite parts of history has always been the pioneer era. I was the child gallivanting around my neighborhood in braids and mismatched sunbonnets, wondering why we couldn’t just all live in log cabins and play fiddle music. (I admit that my romanticized notions of such life have been largely influenced by Little House on the Prairie.) One thing I read that pioneers often did was “pan for gold.” Of course, I eagerly tried that too - rather unsuccessfully, I might add.

Well, gone are the days of plaid aprons, but I realized tonight that I still do “pan for gold” – in a different way. Rather than sifting through rocks on a creek bed, I find myself sorting out more “grownup” thoughts through pen and paper. Yeah… journaling.

I don’t know about you, but my journals usually consist of just the “raw data” – the unpolished flow of emotions that just spill out onto the page, without much rhyme, reason, or readability (hence the reason I marvel at such people like Jim Elliot whose private journals are incredibly profound.) Somehow, thankfully, God always seems to sift through my jumbled thoughts by showing me some shining nugget of truth from His Word.

I found myself doing some pretty intense “panning for gold” tonight and wanted to share with you an incredibly precious truth that God brought to the surface in my life.

Why? Because sometimes we just need the simple truth. Forget the flowery words, creative introductions, detailed outlines, or sophisticated profundity. When life gets confusing, there is one solution for peace… and that is a mind that is resting on Christ’s truth alone (Isaiah 26:3). The rest of the silt will just fade away.

So, here is a little treasure for you to take hold of right now. Perhaps it will be a shining light of hope in whatever situation you are going through, as it has been in mine tonight.

“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

(Isaiah 41:10)

This is saying to me…

My precious child, do not be afraid… of being lonely, rejected, ashamed or unloved. Remember that I am with you. I’m not just ‘within call’ – but I am right here beside you. Don’t be dismayed – don’t be gazing around you with anxiety. Remember I am your Eloheim, your Creator, Preserver, Transcendent God, Mighty, and Strong. I have three promises for you. Are you weak? I will strengthen you – cause you to be strong, alert, courageous, brave, stout, bold, solid, and hard. Are you in want? I will be your help, your support, your aid. Are you ready to fall? I will uphold you – you are in the palm of my hand – grasped, supported, held fast. I’m hanging on to you with my right hand – the one that is full of righteousness, dealing forth both rewards and punishments. I am the Lord God, and I am faithful to my promises.

Trusting God along with you,

Beth

|
This entry was posted on Saturday, September 19, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.