Author: Beth
•Wednesday, April 08, 2009

A few weeks ago, I was driving home and had to pass through a construction zone. I don’t know why, but those places always make me nervous. On this night, it was particularly unsettling, because the traffic was set up so that the cars had to pass under the overpass bridge that they were tearing down. Few things are more disconcerting on the road than driving by as a weird-looking machine bites into the concrete right next to you. :-) The dust showers gave an ominous misty look in the air reflected in the spotlights. Of course, I knew that the construction workers are just doing their job and the traffic controllers would not intentionally send cars through a dangerous spot, but I was still quite grateful to be past the site and on to the wide, open road once again.

That little road scene was brought to mind as I thought about how God works in our lives as well. Sometimes we have to pass through the construction zone. It can be messy, annoying, and even a little bit scary. But in the end, we know that the road will be better because of it.

As I look back through my old journals contemplating my desire to travel, I thought about titling it “Caution: God at work.” Sometimes the desires of our hearts have to be purified before God can allow them to take place. In the middle of that heart construction, however, God always teaches us more about Himself if we watch for it. The one thing He continually pressed upon my heart during that time was this simple truth:

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9)

I don’t know anything about the construction of roads, but I do know that God is mapping out a course for each of His children. Sometimes it requires bumps in the road… other times it requires “traveling” by faith as God maneuvers us around the bends and curves. Most of the time, we don’t know where we’re going next – and the scenery doesn’t always look the way we want it to.

But, let me tell you… there is nothing more amazing than looking back and seeing that His way was a perfect preparation for a future that only He could see.

I’ve seen it. Praise God for His loving care to give us exactly what we need for each stage of life – more of Himself.

|
This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.