Author: Beth
•Saturday, May 16, 2009

The sun had just barely risen over Indianapolis on Wednesday, when the 2009 India team set out for the other side of the world. Around 30 hours later, this same team was greeted with the balmy midnight breeze of Bangalore.


Thank you all so much for praying for us as we traveled to India the past few days. The team has now safely arrived and are settled in (and almost over jetlag!). Internet is scarce here right now, but I wanted to give you all a brief update. God has already taught me SO MUCH in the last two days that it’s hard to process it all. As I think back on our travels to this place, however, one scene stands out in my mind as being particularly significant.

I will never forget my first glimpse of India. After being on a plane for so long, a glimpse of the ground below was a welcome sight. It was pitch black outside, but as I looked closely, I could see the faintest lights on the ground. As we got closer, the lights became more and more brilliant – scattered all over the landscape like little stars. INDIA. It was an unforgettable sight.

That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world” – Philippians 2:15


The lights shining out of the darkness reminded me so much of our mission as a team. We are the lights in this land of spiritual darkness. I prayed fervently that God would allow us to shine as brightly as those lights that I saw from the plane. Only God knows what He has in store for us… but I’m so excited to be called His child and given this mission to carry His name. What a privilege!

We are settled in with the pastor’s family at the church and are getting ready for worship tomorrow and teaching VBS all next week. Please pray as Dr. Rao preaches in the Kannada worship service (through a translator) and as we build relationships with the small congregation meeting here tomorrow. This next week will be an exciting and very intense time of ministry with the children, so we greatly covet your prayers.

~ Beth

(for the team)

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.