Author: Beth
•Thursday, May 07, 2009
So.

I’m done with college.

… every time I write those words, I have to go back and re-read them. It hasn’t quite hit me yet. But yes, ladies and gentlemen, as of 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 2, 2009 (yes, my last all-nighter) I am officially done. The sky was just barely beginning to change its color as I sat in front of my computer and hit the final “submit” button. Everyone else in the house was asleep, so I stifled the urge to run outside and scream at the top of my lungs... but instead just relished in the moment quite happily before crashing into bed. =)

I’m not really sure how college graduates are supposed to feel. Perhaps doing my entire college education online has given me a different perspective than most, but I am intensely relieved to have this milestone behind me. It’s been a long journey, but I can certainly say that God taught me things about Himself far above and beyond just academia. One of these days, I’m going to write it all down, but until then, I am just marveling at the reality that God does indeed “fulfill His purposes for me” (Psalm 57:2) in ways that are beyond what I could ask or think.

My heart is full as I remember all the ways that God used to help me through the past four years. I was sitting on the plane this morning, overlooking a brilliant blue sky and fluffy white clouds on my way to Virginia to graduate… and this verse echoed in my head:

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; They are new every morning… great is Thy faithfulness!” - Lamentations 3:22-24

This time of graduation is really a celebration of God’s faithfulness. I have come to a realization over and over again at how weak I am. Long nights of seemingly-meaningless study, tears of frustration, academic disappointments and changes have all helped me to come to grips with my own human frailty and powerlessness. Working with four different colleges brought me to understand that God was directing my steps and I needed to follow in faith. Living 769 miles away from school (but having a commute of 2 feet to class!) helped me to see that God can keep my focus undistracted and yet help me to see the “home mission field” right at my fingertips. As the thousands and thousands of words somehow formed into papers, articles, essays, debates, and discussion assignments, I began to understand a bit how Moses felt when God promised “I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak” (Exodus 4:12). Each time the grades came in, I learned a lot about humility and (lots) of faith. =P And now, as I sit back and reflect, I can see the faithfulness of God shining through like a golden thread that held every single minute together.

As I sat in the plane this morning, the past four years flashed before my eyes. I thought about how today was my last day to be 21 years old. I thought about how I would not be considered a “college student” anymore. I thought about how life was changing and how things would never be the same… and I thought about the future. Honestly, it’s rather intimidating. As the airplane rose above the clouds, the sun began to shine directly and brilliantly… and the words “great is Thy faithfulness” seemed to write itself across the sky. As I look into the future, whatever it may be, I cannot think of a better reminder.

Praise the Lord for His faithfulness. And yes, I still cannot stop smiling. =)

|
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.