Author: Beth
•Sunday, January 24, 2010


[continued from Part 2]

A sturdy pair of hiking boots.

I stare at them for a moment… they look rather familiar. Oh yes. I wore them the last time I learned this lesson. Here I go again, for round two (or is it twenty-two?) I looked out at the road ahead of me: two jobs, a growing church family, a lot of learning left to do and a lot of ministry.

The steps begin.

Faithfulness. Contentment. Perseverance. Contentment. Patience. Contentment.

The themes echo in my heart again and again. The scenery changes very little. Sometimes the trees seem so very tall and the trail never ends. Other times, the path opens into a wide field that is just teeming with sunshine, dancing leaves, and clear blue skies.

A new trail off to the left seems appealing.

................“Not yet, my child. Not yet.”

I venture a step to the right … maybe this trail, Lord?

.................“Not yet, my child. Not yet. Will You trust me?

The ever-so-loving question rings in my ears. Will I trust Him? Even when the trail seems boring or meaningless? Even when I can’t see the ending?

He promises that He will never leave me. He will work everything together for my good and His glory. His timing is perfect…He is never late.

Will I believe?

The year draws to a close.

A few days into the new year, I find myself standing on a beach in Mexico late at night. Before me stretches the wide expanse of the ocean, with frothy white waves crashing against the moonlight shores. The sky above is an array of light as the stars shine forth with such brilliance as I have never seen.

It was here that the year 2009 flashed before my eyes. The running shoes. The traveling sandals. The ice skates. The hiking boots. Now, the memory of bare feet running along the sand...

And You asking me to be still.

“Be still and know that I am God.

I will be exalted among the nations,

I will be exalted in the earth!

The Lord of Hosts is with [me]

The God of Jacob is [my] fortress.”

Psalm 46:10

The journey in 2009 was a long one, but one of indescribable worth. I can look back and see Your sovereignty shining through every single step. That knowledge alone makes me excited and thrilled to run into 2010.

It is a new year. May it be one filled with more of You, Lord Jesus.

He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8



Read Part 1 ---- ~ ---- Read Part 2

|
This entry was posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.