Author: Beth
•Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I want to be one of those people that make a difference in the world. You know what I’m talking about. Those life-changers. The ones who never run out of energy … always serving … always carrying out great exploits for the name of Jesus. They are my heroes, and they are probably yours too.

I’ll be honest, though. My life doesn’t look anything like that right now. In fact, as I’m sitting here on my bed, wrapped in blankets and nursing a cold, the idea is almost laughable. I’m a senior in college, where unfinished papers and assignment due dates sometimes dominate my schedule. I spend hours alone in the library studying, and even more time in my quiet, suburban home. It’s rather a far cry from the daring missionary ventures in the jungles of Ecuador or influencing millions of people in a big city somewhere.

I’m not an eloquent writer that can fill up the pages of a best-seller. I’m not an accomplished speaker that can motivate crowds of people. I just have one small page to write. One tiny voice.

Does my life really make a difference?

This morning, as I was thinking about this, I looked outside my window and watched the raindrops splash in the growing puddles along the curb.

One raindrop is so tiny, and it doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. Yet, when it falls into a puddle, it still makes a ripple. A small one, yes, but still it IS one.

A verse that has been running through my head is from Isaiah 66. “This is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at My word.” Then, it hit me. It’s not about making huge waves. It’s not about living up to what I think to be great or successful.

It’s about following Jesus… with my everything.

Every truly great person that I’ve ever known has understood this fact. Some of the greatest people were never acclaimed or applauded for their efforts. In fact, they probably wouldn’t want me to even write their names here. When we get to heaven, we probably won’t even recognize the people who are the most bountifully rewarded. But they are the ones who give everything they have for Jesus. Their ripples, although seemingly small, had incalculable effects… and they may never know it.

That is the kind of difference I want to make.

|
This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.