Author: Beth
•Tuesday, February 17, 2009
.
The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17


In the midst of the busyness of the last couple of days, I had a moment where God just stopped me in my tracks. Zephaniah 3:17 has long been one of my favorite verses, but every time I pause to dwell on it, it leaves me speechless. A friend and I were discussing this verse over lunch today and it reminded me once again that God’s love is incomprehensible and unfathomable … and yet so tender and precious for me. This particular day, I returned to a question that was sparked by the last phrase of this verse: “He will rejoice over you with singing.” Think about it…


What is it like to hear God sing?


I don’t know about you, but I’ve always loved hearing a male voice sing (although nothing against all of the female vocalists out there!). There is just something about the richness of a powerful voice that resonates in me. A whole choir of men’s voices can leave a lasting impression – maybe because they possess the ability to sound so authoritative and majestic with their deep tones. Muster up every ounce of imagination that you have within you and try to picture what it would be like to hear God sing. Can you do it? Is there any comprehensible thought that can picture the sound of such a thing?

God’s voice is one of the most powerful things in Scripture. He had only to speak ONE word and the entire universe came into existence. The same voice that spoke and created the Grand Canyon, Mount Everest, and the vast expanse of the ocean is this same voice that exerts His power and sings with a loud, exulting cry.
.
"Every word which God has given us in this Book claims our attention, because of the infinite majesty of him that spake it. I see before me a Parliament of kings and princes, sages and senators. I hear one after another of the gifted Chrysostoms pour forth eloquence like the “Golden-mouthed.” They speak, and they speak well. Suddenly, there is a solemn hush. What a stillness! Who is now to speak? They are silent because God the Lord is about to lift up his voice. Is it not right that they should be so? Doth he not say, “Keep silence before me, O islands”? What voice is like his voice?" (Charles Spurgeon)

The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord over many waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars; the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness; the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the deer give birth and strips the forests bare, and in His temple all cry, “Glory!” (from Psalm 29)


THAT SAME VOICE not only speaks, but sings.
Over YOU.




........................................................................................................(photography by Chris Magnuson)
What does He sing? I asked this question to my 13-year-old cousin Joshua and his response was very profound. "I think that joy, love, tenderness, mercy, and compassion would all combine into one glorious harmonious sound." I think he's probably right. The deep and passionate heart of the Father is poured out in tones of endearment, love, and praise of Himself as He delights and joys over us. That very thought alone leaves me weak and trembling with awe that He could delight in such a sinner as I am.

What an incredible thing it is to be called a child of God.

|
This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.