Author: Beth
•Thursday, March 26, 2009
Since my last post on Sunrises, I thought I might continue the trend with another weather report. :)

It was hard to get up this morning. A late bedtime, warm covers, and the raindrops lingering on my windowpane were all compelling indicators that repulsed the idea of an early beginning to the day. Nevertheless, sensible reasoning eventually won out and I found myself driving down the interstate on the way to work.

As I rubbed sleep out of my eyes, I glanced at the sky.

Cloudy. Dreary. Dull.

*sigh*

I’m not really fond of cloudy days. There was no trace of the sunshine that usually blinds my eyes as I drive in the morning. Even the air seemed to carry a spirit of heaviness… along with a few last water droplets. While I’m sure there is a bit of romance that can be found somewhere in the overcast skies, today I found them to be rather dampening to my already mopey spirit.

There is something very simple … yet very profound that God has been trying to get into my head all week long... and it took this cloudy day to remind me of it. As I drove to work, I remembered a resolution that I had made earlier in the week. It was that I would begin to take note of the ways that I see God's hand at work in everyday life. This is a study of God that goes beyond the pages of my Bible.

Simple, yes... but it serves some very important purposes.

First, it puts my mind in the right place (where it should be all along!) I’ve noticed an alarming trend in my thinking as of late. There is this little person that keeps popping up in literally everything I do. Her name is “Me” – but it also affectionally goes by the nicknames of “I”, “Myself” and “Mine” and all other forms of first-person singular. It’s funny how mythoughts naturally revolve around that central axis if I’m not careful. By taking the time to look for God specifically in every day situations, it reminds me that there is Someone greater involved here that deserves my thoughts.

Second, it reminds me that God sees the big picture AND the details. I’m somewhat of a detail person. I may not remember our conversation from three months ago, but I probably remember what color you were wearing. Similarly, I may have trouble seeing the “big picture” because I’m so involved with those little things. When I look to see God in those things – it is a powerful reminder of God’s sovereignty. Besides, if He notices even when a sparrow falls to the ground, how much more does He care about His children?

Finally, this little exercise also helps me recognize God and learn to know His character through those “little things.” When I start to create my list, it's amazing, really...
- When I realize that it was God who wouldn’t leave me alone until I witnessed to that person, I see His “tough love” for me.
- When a luncheon for elderly guests is successful, in spite of scalded soup and forgetting to turn the oven on, I see God’s grace.
- When He decides to bless me with a good grade, even though “senoritus” and illness got the better of me last week, I see His mercy.
- When I hear the news about two friends who are now in a God-honoring relationship, I smile and see His faithfulness.
- And… when I’m walking to the mailbox and I see that He has sprinkled the ground with spring violets, I see His creativity.

He truly is everywhere. Isn’t it awesome that we serve a God like that?

This was the truth that I was reminded of as I drove to work on this cloudy morning. As I rounded a bend in the road, I looked at the horizon… and there it was. A patch of blue sky. It was as if God was smiling down and saying … Look, Beth, I’m behind this too.

Perhaps cloudy days might be redeemed after all.
|
This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.