Author: Beth
•Saturday, March 14, 2009


It has been a busy first week of classes. Most of my available brain cells have been subjected to keeping up with a deluge of school assignments, and thus I haven’t had much time for other writing. I have several ideas that are mulling around in my head, but they will have to stay confined to my cerebrum until I have a chance to make them somewhat readable. :-) In the mean time, I thought I would adopt a practice of writing down a few topics, observations, musings, or links that I’ve been thinking about this week. I call it my “Saturday Morning Blend” – which gives a homey warm-beverage-in-the-early-morning feel, even though I despise coffee. *grin* But hey… feel free to peruse, comment, enjoy, or ignore at your leisure. Have a happy weekend!

- This economy is “a golden moment.” I’m not an economist, but a few red flags lately have caused me to sit up and take notice. One of my classes this session is on organizational communication, and our first order of business was to write about a recent negative job experience. As I read through my classmates’ submissions, it was sad to see how many people had lost their jobs or had co-workers being let go due to the economy. I was talking with a man earlier in the week that is also in a similar situation… no job, and yet there is a family back home to provide for. We are living in somewhat uncertain times… and yes, it hits close to home. John Piper has some valuable words of wisdom to say about the economic downturn [ HERE. ]

- On a happier note, spring is coming! As I took a walk to the mailbox at work this week, I saw my first spring crocus – a bright, happy, sunshine-y yellow little flower coming up from the brown and drab earth. Now, the crocuses are out in full force around our home and it’s been fun to take walks and notice all the signs of spring – robins, buds on the trees, and… the best part… being able to shed the coats and run around in the sunshine! Since it was so nice earlier in the week, I grabbed my camera and had a little fun. Stay tuned for pictures. :-)

- I have seven weeks left of college. For some reason, that fact hit me in full force this week. After doing college work for the past four years, these last 50+ days will go by in a whirl. It has caused me to trust God more specifically about the future and also enjoy these last precious moments in this season of life. One of my favorite quotes seems to fit appropriately: “The life of faith is lived one day at a time, and it has to be lived – not always looking forward to as though the “real” living were around the next corner. It is today for which we are responsible. God still owns tomorrow.” (Elisabeth Elliot)

- I miss my [Wildcat.] My littlest brother Nathan (which, by the way, towers several inches taller than me, and so isn’t exactly ‘little’) has been quite noticeably missing from our household this week as he participates in basketball tournaments in Tennessee (this week) and Missouri (next week.) This is a shout-out to him and his teammates as they travel, have fun, and play games for the glory of God. Way to go, guys!

|
This entry was posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.